Re: [Spridgets] Hi, I'm new. Please help me and my '76

To: tinydog@snet.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Hi, I'm new. Please help me and my '76
From: "cclabaw@juno.com" <cclabaw@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:21:10 GMT
To ...dog and all the rest of the 'wannaCaliforniaSpridget-eers'

When I bought my early '67 Mk IV Sprite, it looked like cowbirds had been
nesting in it for a long time (it was the DPO's daily driver).  It was love at
first sight.  I got the Heritage cert and found out that it was sold by
Manhattan Beach Sports Cars (part of L.A.'s coastline) which explained the
build-up of beach sand in it.  After the "new" wore off, I noticed that under
the sand, there wasn't much floor due to living near the ocean.  After reading
Holter, I also discovered that it has one high-light and one low-light front
fender.  Closer scrutiny indicates that neither of them are original.  The
hood (bonnet) is shorter than the right fender and longer than the left and
ends about a half-inch from the scuttle.  Both bumpers look like fettichini,
and the exhaust system seems to have come from Pep Boys via a high-desert meth
lab.  These are the good parts.

I won't go into the engine except to say that cleaned up, it goes like scat.

So, it's not all peaches and cream in the land of fruits and nuts.

Best regards,

Clay L.
'67 Sprite, and proud of it

-- tinydog@snet.net wrote:
tinydog sez:

For some it's a hard concept to grasp, but the easiest and cheapest way to
enter Spridget ownership is with a rust-free car from the West Coast. Shipping
is cheap in comparison to solving the problems straightening-out a car that
needs rockers, sills, and floors.

Plus having a car from California makes listening to Brian Wilson all the more
enjoyable. A blonde in the passenger seat is even better.

 -------------- Original message from "Andrew Payne" <andrewpayne@intrex.net>:
--------------

> I am still figuring out which messages come directly to me, and which come
> to me in digest form only.
>

> I suppose that I am trying to be realistic about this car, and it is
> important to me that it remains largely "my car".  I also don't envision
> this being my only classic, perhaps not my only Spridget.  I am more
> inclined to weld extra supports and crossmembers in than to do a steering
> wheel transplant as has been (very rationally) suggested.  If I bring a car
> from CA, I'd probably just keep both cars.
>

> Kent, any idea of which issue of GRM had the welding article on the MGB?
> Sounds like my kind of low tech solution.
You are subscribed as cclabaw@juno.com

http://www.team.net/archive

Recharge and relax.  Click for great vacation ideas.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nMAbUmii21H0e335NMcbxT6t9a
8ANV66SrA57MCIQGz34XS/