[Spridgets] Fw: Kill switch

To: Spridget Chat Group <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Fw: Kill switch
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:25:25 -0400
> The big resistor is there to stop the rectifier diodes in the alternator
> frying/self destructing when the switch is thrown with the engine running
>> at an
>> rpm above the alternator kick-in rpm.  The resistor is a biggy.

 This makes a lot of sense.

 So what happens when you rev the engine up and turn off the key, which is
 exactly the same situation?  The alternator is alternating with nowhere to
 dump the current.  Does the ignition also have a shunt?  Or is the
 alternator already protected in some way that makes the resistor
 unnecessary?  If so, this is an "old mechanic's tale."  My local speed shop
 has never heard of a 6-pole kill switch.  They just use an ordinary battery
 switch with the alternator included.

 Michael Rowe
 '74 Midget
 Long Island, NY