Re: [Spridgets] Hope...for GM?

To: "'Timothy H. Collins'" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, "'David Lieb'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Hope...for GM?
From: "Andrew Payne" <andrewpayne@intrex.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:08:50 -0400
>>My garage manager insists that dying fuel pumps are the result of people
>>not filling their fuel tanks until they are close to empty.

>Y're kidding, right? What else must one know to own/drive one of
>those? Don't turn your lights on until it is absolutely dark 'cause
>the bulbs will burn out?? Don't use your brakes to save the brake
>light bulb? No, the pump thing falls on the side of being a poor
>design or engineering or manufacturing defect. And, what are they
>(the pumps) made of that makes them worth $600? That's alot of $ for
>an electric motor.

Well, I recall a discussion a few weeks back about the dangers of starting a
1500 with the clutch depressed, also a discussion of how quickly shocks go
bad if not filled.  Yes, it is different, but we over look these quirks of
ownership in our babies; yet so many expect a modern car to never need a
second glance.  Tire pressure, ha!  Don't to up to the next dollar, urban
legend!  An MG sweats "rust inhibitor" from its engine, but a "new" car with
100,000 urban miles that leaves a quarter sized oils spot over the weekend
needs to be replaced.

Yes, I have heard this about the fuel pumps, from several mechanics.  Many
manuals advise to avoid running below 1/4.  I have heard that it also has to
do with the wetting and drying of the rubber parts in the pump.  Having
replaced several fuel pumps myself, it is not a hard job - if you can get to
the pump.  I usually do the job for under $100 in parts, and an hours time.
Now if the tank has to come down, then it's a real drag.  Have you looked
into doing the job yourself, Napa probably sells the pump for $39.99.