Re: [Spridgets] Midget windshield assembly (how I did it)

To: "'David Lieb'" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "'Spridget List'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Midget windshield assembly (how I did it)
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 07:02:56 -0800
OK it is all together now.

I did the following and did not use any lubes or soaps.

Notes:
A -A couple of short 2x4s covered in carpet helps to support the windshield.

B- Also if you have loose or missing rivets or need to replace sun visor
stays etc, it MUST be done while the windshield assembly is disassembled.

C-It is also import and to use short rivets and screws such that nothing
sticks out into the rail glass grooves.  Any screws or rivets will likely
cause the glass to break there.

Assembly:

1-Install the corner brackets in left and right uprights (leave the 2
posi-drive screws on upper rail brackets slightly loose).

2-Slide the body to frame seal on the lower frame rail (two or three person
job). Get it to "relax" in the groove so it is not stretched tight or it
might "shrink" in length once assembled and on the car.

3-Trim lower seal at angles slightly longer (5mm) than lower rail match the
angle on the lower rail).

4-Fit the window seal to glass (insure glass is seated in the groove around
the whole windscreen).

5-With the windshield and glass on a padded table pull the upper rail onto
the glass (sandwich the glass between your belly and outstretched hands).

6-Turn over the windshield and repeat 5 above by pulling the lower rail onto
the glass and seal.

7-Starting from the center working outward, finish seating the upper and
lower rails onto the glass (try to get even seal seating, use a small tool
to tuck in any bits not cooperating).

8-Slide the left and right uprights onto the left and right ends of the
glass and seals. (Slowly and gently coax the ends on being careful not to
let the upper and lower rails come off or un-seat the seals).

9-Put in the rest of the corner bracket screws and pull the assembly
together in all directions.

10-Install the center support spoke and insure the seal is even all the way
around the windshield.

Tracy Drummond                  Gang Warily !
President AHCUSA              www.healey.org