Re: [Spridgets] Clutch release problem

To: SPRIDGETS <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <jcman22@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Clutch release problem
From: Bill Masquelier <billmasq@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:28:02 -0800
This is only a first pass-
it almost sounds like the pilot bushing may be very dry and binding on the
transmission input shaft, not too common but a possibility.
Bill

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 00:05:49 -0600
> From: dwoerpel@wi.net
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Spridgets] Clutch release problem
>
> Listers, I am headed to NJ & the Holy Sprite in a few hours and just
> received the following from a friend in need.  Perhaps he may be the
> beneficiary of your collective expertise, Oh Wizards of the Web.  Please
> respond directly to John.
> Thanks,
> Dave
> 59 :{)
> Burlington WI
>

> John Seaman wrote:
> > Maybe you can get some opinions from your Sprite friends.
> >
> > I am helping a friend, (Keary Kautzer - Sheboygan), fix a clutch problem
with his 69 Sprite.  The clutch disengagement kept getting worse, becoming
ineffective.  This fall, I tried bleeding the slave cylinder, but no
improvement.  I took out the slave piston, and emeried the bore smooth, put it
back in and bled it, but no improvement.  We put in new master and new slave
cylinders, and bled the system several times.  The slave rod has over an inch
movement now, but the pedal still goes to the floor without releasing the
clutch.

> > Is it possible for the pressure plate springs to be weak or broken, and
even with this fork movement, maybe the pressure plate still does not release
the clutch disc?

> > I am running out of ideas, and wonder if there is anything else to try or
look for?  I suspect the pressure plate is the problem.  When the slave
cylinder was replaced, the PO had welded a entension to the rod, so I suspect
this has been going on for awhile.

> > I think replacing the clutch pressure plate, disc, and TO bearing is the
only option.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

> > John Seaman  jcman22@charter.net

When your life is on the gotake your life with you.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/