Re: [Spridgets] wind resistance

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] wind resistance
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:33:33 -0500
Here's one for real:

Some years ago, I was the editor of the Amateur Yacht Research Society
Newsletter.  At that time, hydrodynamic researchers had found that small
bumps reduced water resistance by breaking up laminar surface flow, so they
were experimenting with various textured surfaces (think golf balls, shark
skin, etc.).  As a consequence, a Japanese bathing suit company started
marketing racing suits for women with small plastic bosses glued below the
breasts to reduce their drag, rather like multiple artificial nipples in a
pleasing pattern.  I'll tell you, those were fast women!

The Japanese model in the promotional picture I copied for the newsletter
clearly did not have significant breast drag, but not all women are like
that, so maybe it worked for others.  I don't know.  I was thinking of
taking a survey of high-drag racers, but I never got it organized.

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
Long Island, NY