[Spridgets] Lessons learned about vinyl dyes... just not

To: spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Lessons learned about vinyl dyes... just not
From: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:25:17 -0800 (PST)
A few days ago, my son and I decided that since my wife was out for the
evening, it would be a good time to dye my used tan headrests black to match
the rest of the interior.  Rattle can said it must be between 70 and 90
degrees ambient temp to spray successfully, so I figured the basement would be
a good place since the garage is unheated.

We set up an area in the far corner beyond the laundry room for the work.  The
dropcloth was carefully laid out to catch any overspray, and we set up a place
to hold them afterward for drying.  After cleaning the vinyl and taping off of
the parts not getting dyed, we began.  The Dupli-Color spray covered well and
before long both headrests were newly blacked and hanging off shelves to dry.
The smell was a bit strong, but I didn't think much of it since all paints
smell a bit, right?

About 15 minutes later, we noticed the "paint" smell upstairs on the second
floor even though we had done the deed two floors below.  Apparently, dyes
capable of working their way into vinyl are a bit more robust than regular
paint and have an ability to permeate a house that equals or even
surpasses its intended ability to penetrate vinyl...

I went down to the basement and found that the laundry thoroughly reeked of
fumes.  (oh crap!) I took the headrests to the garage, set a fan blowing out
one of the basement windows and opened the others, then started burning some
of my wife's incense down there as well as in the kitchen and other strategic
places around the house.

After a while, the smell left and I closed the house back up.  Later when my
wife returned, she got about two steps into the house and said "has somebody
been burning my incense?".  I confessed my ignorance of certain dye properties
and somehow lived to tell the tale.  I'm just glad we don't live in California
- the neighbors would have probably sued us for poisoning the neighborhood.

She and our son are leaving for four days later this week - I think I'll dye
the tan seats that came with the headrests on the first night they're gone.
 THAT should be enough time...

David Booker
'71 Midget (with soon to be newly-blacked seats)
Long Island