Re: [Spridgets] bent frame rails

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] bent frame rails
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:59:52 -0500
Good point, why did they do it?  I agree with Bryan, all the geometry can
be accommodated in the mount points of the suspension parts.  It's crazy to
bend the frame like this.

This would have been a great question to ask Gerry Coker at Jubilee.
Rather,  I spent most of my time asking him about his career, (which was very
interesting, btw).

To me, this has all the hallmarks of an engineering error or compromise.
I'll speculate, tell me what you think.

If you were to straighten the rails out an then put the Bugeye bonnet on, then
the front of the
bonnet would drop down slightly.  That means the gap where the bonnet meets the
 rest of the body would no longer be squared up.

So maybe there was a measurement error at some point when the dies were made.
Given that respining the press dies for the bonnet parts is an expensive
undertaking (due to the complicated curves),
it may be that the "frame squeeze" was a more attractive solution.

The other option is that the A40 frame was designed with a slight incline in
this area and they just decided that
bending the bugeye frame was the easiest way to match this, without having to
re-think all the suspension mounting points.