Re: [Spridgets] 2011 Spridget Event -Longest

To: rbastedo@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 2011 Spridget Event -Longest
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:48:33 -0600
I've done the ALCAN twice on motorcycle. The first time was in April of 1976
and it was ALL muddy gravel. At least the part of it that wasn't a foot deep
in snow around Summit Pass  ;-) It took a week from Dawson Creek to Tok.

Just for old time's sake I went again in 2003 on motorcycle. It was a let
down. There was only about 25 miles of gravel total. The rest was nicely
paved. I did the 1200 miles in 3 days one way and at a nice leisurely pace.
I also found that parts of the route have gotten all Yuppie Touristy though
the lodge at Muncho Lake had great German beer and incredible German food!
On that trip I also did the Cassiar-Stewart Highway, the Klondike Highway,
and the Top of the World Highway. Those roads were like what I remembered of
the ALCAN in 1976!!

It's a great trip and I highly recommend it for either Spridget or
motorcycle!  I want to do it again before I'm too old.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Rick Bastedo <rbastedo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim, so you're from Homer -  "that little drinking town with a fishing
> problem".
> I believe I left a dollar on the wall of a certain establishment there...
> I've been there many times, fishing & just having fun.
> That was back in the 80's - I moved back down to the Seattle area in '86.
>
> I drove the ALCan several times in a 69 MGB GT and then in a 69 MGC GT.
> Once Seattle to Fairbanks to Anchorage all in one shot. Now that was a
> drive
> in the middle of June!!!
> Haven't done it in a Spridget yet, that would be a hoot.
> Is it paved yet?
> In the early 80's there was at least 1100 miles of gravel broken up by a
> few
> stretches of blacktop.
>
> Some of the best food at the little gas station / restaurants along the
> way.
> I remember one place that only charged about $3.00 for a great steak & eggs
> breakfast.
> I think I left a $10 tip it was so good!
> Those were the good days, back when I could sit & drive thousands of miles
> without any limitations.
>
> Rick Bastedo

> From: James Lempe <oldtimealaskan@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: 2011 Spridget Event -Longest distance
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Well, I'll go to the event and settle all the distance controversy.   I
> live
> in Homer Alaska.  Thats 2300 miles just to get to Seattle.  If you want to
> googlemap the distance my address is 64350 Bridger Rd., Homer Alaska 99603.
>
> I drove the car up here from San Diego three years ago so driving back down
> will not be a new event.  If  you have never driven the old ALCAN highway
> (now
> called the Alaska Highway) it's just miles and miles of miles and miles.
>
> Jim Lempe
> Homer AK

Cheers!!
Jim
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough
to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson