Re: [Spridgets] New truck is LEGAL!

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New truck is LEGAL!
From: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 08:48:25 -0800
Hello Glen,

The truck looks great.

I still had my Morris pickup when the DMV  made the rule change.  It
use to be that the vehicle had to weigh 3,000 lbs before it was even
considered for commercial plates.  Then came all the little Japanese
pickups that business were using as delivery trucks but with
passenger car plates - under the weight requirement - but with the
business name on the side, parking in commercial parking and such.
When I got the renewal registration with additional fees and
commercial class made a trip to the DMV.  Conversation went something
like this:

Me: Why did I get a commercial registration?

DMV: It is a pickup.

Me: So every pickup regardless of use has to have commercial plates?

DMV: Yes

Me: So now I can park in commercial parking zones?

DMV: No, you are not a business.

Me:  I can deduct the cost of the truck off my income tax.

DMV: No you are not a business.

Me: Then I do not need commercial plates.

DMV: Yes it is a pickup.

Have not check lately but for a while you could get passenger plates
for a pickup but you could not carry anything in the bed that was not
"incidental" to the passengers; groceries and luggage.

At the same time I had a Ford Club Wagon (window van) that had
passenger plates and had been registered as a station wagon.  Like
station wagons you could haul anything.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition