[Spridgets] Driving in Snow

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Driving in Snow
From: "Norm 2Bs" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 18:31:02 -0500
Oh Boy!  Do I have stories!

Let's start with a Corvair Spyder - It would GO through any kind of snow
unless the snow was too deep & then it would "float" up onto the snow & not
have enough weight to keep the rear wheels on the hard-pack.  Lots of
shoveling to get it back down-to-earth.   But, one time, that car & a Jeep
4WD were the only things moving on the NJ section of I-80 & the Jeep & I
were back & forth from local to express lanes over snow-covered islands like
it was nothing.
Scary Corvair story - trying to stop for a stop sign on s steep downhill on
snow - NOTHING happening when touching the brakes.  Wheels just locked up &
slid (grippy Pirelli Cinturatos)  Finally down-shifted 3rd, 2nd, 1st & that
stopped it.

VW Beetle - Driving back roads to Mt. Snow, VT - punching through a 3-ft.
drift to get to our destination.  Then using it to punch a hole in the snow
plowed into the driveway to the house at which we were staying.  No damage
to the car, enough space to park off the road & snow up to your crotch to
try to walk through to the house.

Subaru station wagon - climbing a mountain road in VT late one night in a
near blizzard.  As mentioned, like driving in the dry.

4WD SUVs - in Westport, CT.  SoccerMoms who bought SUVs because "they are
safe" found out how well they skate off the road because of their too-high
c.g.  Not too "safe" when they whack a tree.

Worst snow drivers - North Carolina.  I love driving through NC in dry
conditions.  Best lane discipline I've seen in the 48 states of the USA in
which I've driven. Only in Europe are they better.   (Haven't been to OK or
KS)  One time on my way to the Greensboro airport in light snow at about
32-degrees, I passed about 20 cars that obviously didn't realize bridges
freeze before roadways.  All of these cars were scattered around the
shoulders & median near the bridge waiting for cops or tow trucks.  Only 1
or 2 had any damage.  In the northeast where I lived most of my life, you
loose it & go off-road, if you don't whack another car or cause damage to
property, you get back on the road & get to your destination -- using more
care.

I don't miss snow.  Was out in the Alfa today for some top-down driving.  No
heater, tee-shirt & jeans.  Gotta love it.

Norm
Turner - almost ready for next race in 2 weeks.