Re: [Spridgets] House insulation and some gratuitous LBC content

To: tncarnut1@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] House insulation and some gratuitous LBC content
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:26:10 -0600
David & Leo,

My experience is contrary to David's.  I live in a 100 year old house. The
house across the street is from the same period. The owner of that house
jammed it full of all the blown and bat insulation he could get into it.
Eventually, the house could not breath at all and trapped all the
atmospheric moisture inside. In the winter that moisture began to condense
as "sweat" inside his walls and ceilings. Eventually, his interior plaster
was ruined and mold grew to be so bad that he had to tear out the entire
interior and a bunch of the insulation. It was a mess. My builder friend
says in our west Kansas climate, anything over R19 is a waste and will cause
you trouble sooner or later. That number might vary for other parts of the
country??

Cheers!!
Jim

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM, David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Leo -
> I don't believe you can over-insulate a space unless you shove it so full
> that
> it starts to compress and therefore minimize the trapped air.  Much of the
> way
> insulation works is by creating dead air pockets. Thicker insulation just
> creates more dead air pockets, which is a good thing.  My last house was in
> Tennessee - I bought it new and had between two and three feet of
> insulation
> blown into the attic area.  Worked amazingly well.  (It did make it
> difficult
> to find your way over to a particular bedroom ceiling to wire up or hang a
> new
> fan though) Of course, now I have a 70+ year old Cape Cod on Long Island
> that
> is basically insulated with wadded up newspapers behind the plaster.  Oh
> well
> - at least the kitchen and bathrooms I gutted are insulated...
>
> By the way, the garage is not very well insulated either - that's where the
> Midget lives, so there's my LBC content!
>
>  - David Booker

Cheers!!
Jim
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough
to take everything you have." - Gerald Ford