[Spridgets] Garage Fire

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Garage Fire
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:01:15 -0500
People
If you do not have a fire extinguisher in your garage, STOP what you are
doing and go buy one.
I was doing some minor welding to those typical cracks on the inside of
a Bugeye door, my garbage can was 8-9 feet away from what I was welding.
My back was to the can and I had a welding helmet on.
Apparently a spark flew into the garbage can and it was fully engulfed
in flames by the time I noticed it.
Instinct told me to start blowing it out and that didn't work.
Thank God I have 3 fire extinguishers in my garage, 1 at the chemical
shelf, 1 at the base of the stairs, and 1 upstairs.
A quick squirt with one and the can fire was out.
I could have been a disaster as my outside water is turned off for the
winter.
You can not blow out a 3' high flame, and plastic trash bags and cans
burn real well, not to mention who knows what combustibles were in the
can, empty brake clean can, empty bondo can, paper towels, a dry but
used up thinners rag, lots of bondo dust, etc.
Make sure you have a fire extinguisher near your work area.
Also speaking of fire safety, NEVER use a drop light near a fuel pump,
gas tank, or carb.
Get a flouresent light or a cordless LED light.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ