Re: [Spridgets] Electronic Ignition

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Electronic Ignition
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:52:29 -0400
Fine,  I am all for arguing the quality of a given aftermarket electronic
ignition system.
If Pertronix Ignitors fail more often than points do then its a serious problem
that should be
talked about.  Maybe it was only the earlier versions that had a tendency to
fail.

But I do believe points belong in the museum right there next to knife
switches, spark gap transmitters,
and Lucas generator regulators.

I can understand how someone with a concours vehicle may want to stick with a
correct distributor and points.
But I don't believe that type of car is driven very much on the street.

And no,  electronic ignition in your car today is a result of the evolution
over time as engineers
realized they could get rid of the mechanical matinence of points.  Only later
did they put the ignition under
computer control for emmisions purposes.