Re: [Spridgets] SOS 09

To: Lee Fox <lee.fox@sbcglobal.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] SOS 09
From: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:08:03 -0700
> Yes, St. Louis pizza is excellent, but an acquired taste.
> It's very thin
Oh, not so...at least not in the past. The BEST deep pan for many years was
from Talayna's in St. Louis. I was seriously bummed when they changed
ownership and recipes last year. There was even a Talayna's on the Sunset
Strip in Hollywood back in the Seventies, with L.A. Blues singer Top Jimmy
in the kitchen...hence the Van Halen song "Top Jimmy Cooks".
Unfortunately, Orson Welles ended up eating himself to death on Jimmy's deep
pan pizza. I actually took a call from Orson once when he called to enquire
as to whether or not Jimmy was cooking that night.
We used to have half a dozen Talayna's pies delivered to the venue whenever
we played St. Louis.  It's something I really miss.  The "new" Talayna's is
pretty mediocre.
BZ