Re: [Spridgets] Hennessy hammocks

To: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Hennessy hammocks
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:02:40 -0500
>> <http://hennessyhammock.com/>
>
> I have been using a Hennessy hammock for 4-5 years, initially for canoe
> camping, and now for all camping.  I recently got one for my wife as well.
> They are remarkably comfortable and convenient.  I replaced the stock fly
> with an 8'x10' silinylon tarp, which I extend 7' out one side for a covered
> working space.  (The hammock also forms a sling chair under the tarp
> extension.)
>
> The only problem with the hammock is lack of insulation on the bottom.  It
> is cold even in modestly cool weather, as it squishes the down in the
> sleeping bag flat all around the sides, not just on the bottom.  This might
> not be a problem with synthetic bags; I don't know.  I have fussed with
> various alternative pads.  Most are not wide enough to insulate the sides.
> Some creativity can probably solve this problem.

Michael,
I find it amusing to hear them described as "first" at anything. I
grew up in northeast Brazil and slept in a real hammock for many
years. The Hennessy looks like a pale imitation. Good hammocks are
made of a coarse weave cotton fabric, have a fringe along the sides,
and do NOT have "spreader bars". The fringes are more than decoration,
properly done, they form an available barrier that mosquitos prefer
not to go through. Yes, they would fit, no, they don't do it. They
roll down to the size of a smallish sleeping bag and can be a great
way to go camping. An extra rope above the hammock allows for a rain
fly when necessary. Once you have learned to sleep diagonally so you
can control the level, they are very comfortable and I have used them
in conjunction with sleeping bags when the temps dropped.
David Lieb