Re: [Spridgets] 1098/5 spd/3.9 diff

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1098/5 spd/3.9 diff
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:45:01 GMT
Exactly, Bill......

I think the smoothest, sweetest sounding stock Series A types are, IMHE, the
original low-compression 948's and the 9.0-1 1098 "CC" type which originally
came in my Frogeye.

My 1098 had the silkiest stock exhaust note of any Series A I've ever driven.

The stock 1275 is torquier though and has a lot more ooomph in mid-range along
with top end capability. But, it's not as smooth and has a different though not
unpleasant exhaust note as well.

In it's stock form, it certainly will not pull as well at low rpms as the 1098.

I eventually teamed a the 5 speed and 3.7 with a Cooper S tuned 1293 with alum
head and a bunch of upgrades, including the later cam advanced 4 degrees for
Metro inlet timing per Vizard. Added 1.5
bushed "rollers".

With the advanced cam, pulled just as well as the 1098 at low rpm.

I never had to use anything even approaching 1/2 throttle for excellent
performance in my normal town/suburban
driving. This thing was quick!!

Had an "early" ANSA MGB rear box at the end of it's med. bore header/1.75"
exhaust.

QUICK!!! With a helluva sound!!  Great car! :)

CB