Re: [Spridgets] Gas tank welding

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Gas tank welding
From: fastvee <fastvee@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:13:18 -0700 (PDT)
Yes I would never use air alone. Used to supervise the hydro testing of large
fabricated vessels. I probably read the same web pages on the exhaust
hydroforming project, and at the time he was using power steering pumps to get
at least 1500 psi. I think I'll pass on this project unless it's just some
metal bumping. I can buy a new tank, I just don't throw much away.
John
Fogelsville, PA

--- On Tue, 4/28/09, Timothy H. Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
wrote:

> From: Timothy H. Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
> Subject: Gas tank
welding
<spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 3:54 PM

Pressurized water would be safer than
> compressed air. If a seam lets go with
water you get a
> little spurt of water. If a seam lets go with air it is much
> more exciting. Think of this as "hydroforming" your tank
> back to it's
original shape. Somewhere I read a story about
> making motorcycle exhaust
systems with curvy shapes by
> welding two pieces of sheet metal together at
the edges.
> Then a hydraulic pump (hand pump) was used to pressurize
> water
forced between the plates until the pieces ballooned
> up like a sausage.
That's the idea here.

> Varnish and other crud remaining in a soaped out
gas tank
> can vaporize when heated and become explosive. Keep this in
> mind
too.