Re: [Spridgets] Dashboard brace...

To: DAVID GROPPER <kk7ss@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Dashboard brace...
From: Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:00:16 -0400
DAVID GROPPER wrote:
> Browsing the manuals, I find that the reason my dashboard flex'es when I pull
>the choke is that there is supposed to be a bracing piece from the dashboard
>to the firewall..
>
> Can anyone give me the dimensions of the brace and where it fits?? Is it a
>flat bit of metal or is it U-shaped??

There are 2 braces. They measure 6-7/8" long and bolt to the dash (there
are holes in the bottom of the dash) and to the lip where the cowl meets
the firewall.
That little horizontal welded seam.
I know this because I just made a pair for the Ladybug and I used an old
one from my 67 as a pattern.
The originals had rolled edges and were about 1/2" wide. I used a couple
pieces of 1/8" flat steel bar.
I have also made past braces out of some copper pipe, I just cut it
about an inch wide by 6-7/8" and beat the edges over with a hammer.
This time I had no pipe so I used the bar stock I had. Anything will
work, the bolts at the dash end are 10/32s sheet metal screws were used
at the welded seam.
Both braces are about even with where the tunnel upright piece meets the
firewall, one on each side.
Padded dashboard cars are completely different so all you guys with 68s
and newer, ignore this reply.

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
My own Fleet of Sprites