Re: [Spridgets] Paint Question

To: "Kirk Hargreaves" <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Paint Question
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 01:40:17 -0400
From: "Kirk Hargreaves" <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
> So I am not interested in getting the white "show time" perfect, but as
> close as possible to Olde English.
>
> Have you ever had any experience using Rustoleum on a car. . or know someone
> who has?

I shot my Bugeye in Rustoleum Antique White and I was very pleased with the
results.
I believe it to be extremely close to the original OEW.
Bear in mind that most Spridgets were originally painted in oil alkyd (aka
Rustoleum)

You can see some photo's here:  http://tinyurl.com/djfk5n
You can find more details in the list archives.

I'm not going to argue with the modern paint proponents.
But I would like to quote from the recent book "Automotive Paints and Coatings"
Edited by
Hans-Joachim Streitberger and Karl-Friedrich Dossel:

"In 2006, alkyd-based monocoats were still being used to a minor extent in
Europe,
and to a larger extent in most other areas globally for entry-level passenger
cars, light
commercial vehicles, vans, and trucks. The dominant color in this segment is
white."

The only downside to oil alkyd enamel is the slow drying times between coats.
The factory paint was baked on, so they did not have this issue.