Re: [Spridgets] FIAT

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] FIAT
From: HealeyRick <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 04:49:25 -0700 (PDT)
The aluminum head DOHC was pretty advanced for its time, but those same
features could cause trouble once it got into the hands of "deferred
maintenance" owners.  The timing belts required regular replacement and as the
motor was an interference fit, valves would go crashing into pistons when the
belt broke.  Valve adjustment was by using disc shaped shims that required the
garage to have a whole set of them, which most independents didn't.  And the
spark plugs were easily cross-threaded in the aluminum head.  The biggest
issue with the cars was rust, though with the 124 Spiders actually having a
govt. mandated buy-back due to chassis rust.