Re: [Spridgets] Spitting carbs - again...

To: Andy Webster <a_d_webster@yahoo.com.au>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Spitting carbs - again...
From: "Dave G." <kk7ss@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 21:35:36 -0700
G'Day Andy,

I'll put my answers/comments in-line..

On 7 Jun 2009 at 19:48, Andy Webster wrote:
>> so the engine has behaved like this since you got the car?
No... it used to be much worse --- seriously!

>> I'd be pulling off the rocker cover and watching while the engine
>> runs. make sure there isn't a poorly aligned rocker pad over an
>> exhaust valve
I have some machined alloy spacers that I bought from a lister that
would keep the rockers from shifting.

>> I'd also be looking for a valve spring that wasn't up to
>> the task or broken, Are all 1275s double valve sprung? I know mine is.
Broken I could see but I'm not sdure I have a way to tell if a spring
was not up to scratch.

>> I'd have expected fuel starvation to cause it to die off, not so much
>> backfire through the carbs.
If I keep it below 1500 - 1800 rpm  it will keep running for hours

>> Having had a dodgy SU pump in the past,
>> the car used to just lose power, until I thumped the rear shelf with
>> my fist, and knocked the pump into life.
I used to keep a hammer in the trunk for that very purpose.

>> With the air filters off,
>> does one carb spit harder than the other? that might let you narrow it
>> down to either cylinders 1&2 or 3&4 or all over the place.
Both carbs, equally at the same time but spasmodic.

>> Have you had the head off this engine?
Nope... but I see that that's a job I'm going to have to do..

Many thanks for your input... much appreciated  ;-))
Have a Fosters on my tab    ;-))

--
Dave G.   KK7SS
'65 MK III Sprite in Richland, WA

If I wake up in the morning, and I hurt, it means that I'm still
alive !!