Re: [Spridgets] Gasoline

To: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Gasoline
From: Hal Faulkner <frog.aye@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 08:59:33 -0700
O.K.
I know I shouldn't ask this, but I can't resist: who are these Top Tier guys
anyway?  My guess is that they are a bunch of industry giants that are
looking for a marketing edge.  I'm not saying that there aren't differences
between brands of gasoline, but that whatever these guys say is somewhat
suspect to me.  The question I always ask myself is "*Cui bono*?" (Latin for
"what's in it for me?" according to Ambrose Bierce)
Why have the detergent levels required by the EPA in gasoline fallen over
the "past several years"?  Could that be from, say, late January 2001? :)
I seriously doubt that there is a significant difference in mileage from one
brand of gas to another.  As far as I know there have been no double blind
studies that could compare apples to apples.  One might sense that he is
getting better mileage: but without hard numbers that take into
consideration weather, traffic, road conditions, vehicular condition, gas
formulation ( Winter/Summer,) and whether Mercury has gone retrograde, it is
not possible to determine if one brand of gas actually yields better
mileage.

Hal