Re: [Spridgets] rod bearing changeout

To: 'Spridgets' <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] rod bearing changeout
From: soavero@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 08:14:43 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sat, 7/4/09, ldsp <60bugeye@cebridge.net> wrote:
> bearings and bolt it
back together.  Can I pull the
> caps and push the rods up
> in the bore and
then mike all the journals at one
> time?  Then I also want to

Leo,
Yes, but
much easier one at a time - less stuff flopping around. Inspection is easy,
mic'ing in place is a little difficult depending on your bore gauge.
Plastigauge is extremely easy to do in place.

As far as the OPs go, there is
definitely cause for concern. 2 weeks ago I over-revved my race motor (4 years
old,and I have been really nursing it the past year or so) and was watching OP
when it dropped to 50 psi at speed (vs. normal 65-70), and 30 when I lifted
(usually 45 at very hot idle). I found the crank essentially snapped in half
at the #4 journal. The rod was holding it together. Amazing.

Ron