[Spridgets] Dung Forged Steel revisitied...

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Dung Forged Steel revisitied...
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 22:25:02 -0400
I was investigating TIG welders and I came across this interesting pdf on
Miller's website...

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/WorldofMetals.pdf

"The hardening methods used for these steel swords of Damascus were not carried
down
to us through history from antiquity.  However, one method used for hardening
this steel
that has come down to us is this: the blades were heated to a red heat and,
after they were
shaped, were placed in camel dung much as modern steel is heated in an ammonia
atmosphere to form a thin layer of nitrogen bearing surface steel.  Today we
call it
nitriding of steel."

Unbelievable...