Re: [Spridgets] Sprite sighting now trailer

To: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@mac.com>, Spridgets
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Sprite sighting now trailer
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:24:44 -0500
> In 1960 the "Tag-A-Long" trailer was made for small cars,  It did not use a
> one point hitch but rather two arms that attached to the back of the car.
>  Then it had a single wheel towards the back that swiveled 360 degrees..
>  The wheel was a front landing gear from a light aircraft like a Piper Cub,
> or at least that is what it looked like.  It was just slightly higher than
> the rear deck on the Sprite.  I have thought about making one using a big
> car top carrier as the body but not sure what to use for the wheel and
> support.  Just a curious item.

Bob,
I have used one of those Tag-A-Long trailers. They can be quite fun.
They certainly turn the art of backing a trailer into a trivial
exercise, sine they do not pivot in relation to the car. Even I can
back one of those babies up.

The problem is that the pivoting wheel on these has to fit completely
underneath the body of the trailer so that even with an 8" wheel the
trailer sits fairly high. The 8" tires are not rated for 55mph,
either, although they seem to survive fairly well at highway speed.
Ours eventually wore out, but it had a lot of miles on it before it
did. I now have a fiberglass-bodied modern equivalent of it which
attaches to dual trailer balls which, in turn, are mounted on a
crosspiece from a Type-1 receiver drawbar. Unfortunately, if you were
to attach it to a Spridget, the nose-down attitude assumed by the
trailer would not be good. Even behind a PT Cruiser it is less than
ideal, although I have used it that way. Heck, anyone want to buy a
cheap trailer?
David L