[Spridgets] Gas tank and pump thoughts.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Gas tank and pump thoughts.
From: "Mark Haynes" <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:11:16 GMT
Listerati-
      Some curiosities from the '58 regarding fuel delivery. At MG2009, I
tried to run the rallye, but had trouble getting fuel delivered to the carbs
going up Loveland Pass. So I punted, installed an electric on the fender well.
It seemed to do the trick until I went to drive home. Again on Loveland Pass
(~ the 12000 foot level) it crapped out again.  When I let it sit and cool
down, it comes back to life, but only if its headed downhill (even with the
electric)
Symptoms include running a bit warm ~2000F, loss of power (no Kidding) lack of
fuel at the carbs, if I hold back on the throttle,it will pulse  and then pick
up, pulse and pick up as the fuel alternately fills the bowls and empties (I'm
assuming).
In looking at it after I got home, I saw that I'd dented the tank one of the
times that I'd whipped it around to try to finish the rallye. Could I have
shaken some rust loose and plugged up the strainer in the tank, and can I
clean it when I pull the tank?
I'm considering pulling the tank and cleaning it with a piece of chain (to
abrade the contaminants) and then use Metal Ready, moving the electric to the
rear just upstream of the tank, and either rerouting the fuel line to keep it
from running around the front and bottom of the engine or leaving the
mechanical in place for the electric to push to.
Anyone tried using an electric as a pusher pump? I can't find a kit for the
mechanical either (haven't looked too hard yet).

Mark Haynes
HAN6L12779
HAN5L8016

Click here for great quotes from top international movers!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/BLSrjnxXlVdbvTnd4lIV72GjCsovnZ
Jv2mrTqQFWS4pGqe5iEgsIVnpf2qE/