Re: [Spridgets] BE Rear Gear Ratio

To: "Jim F." <jimndi@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] BE Rear Gear Ratio
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:43:46 -0500
2009/7/27 Jim  F. <jimndi@frontiernet.net>:
> I removed the Rear from my 60 BE and now I would like to calculate what is
the
> rear end ratio. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to
find
> out what was the standard and optional gear ratios for the 1960 model. Also
> are the speedo gears color coded to the ratio as in domestic autos?

Jim,
It came from the factory with a 4.22.
In 67 or so they changed to the 3.9.
In 08/77 they changed to the rare 3.73

Easiest way to determine the ratio is to find where the numbers might
be stamped on the housing indicating the number of teeth on the pinion
gear and the ring gear. Alternatively, looking at the teeth and
counting the ones on the pinion will tell you.
The 4.22 has 9 teeth on the pinion gear
The 3.90 has 10 teeth on the pinion gear
The 3.73 has 11 teeth on the pinion gear

If you do not wish to open it up, keep one axle from turning, turn the
diff flange and see how many rotation of it are necessary for the
turning wheel to go two complete revolutions.
I am betting it is a 4.22

No idea as to the speedo gears...
David L