Re: [Spridgets] BE steering wheel

To: "Jim F." <jimndi@frontiernet.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] BE steering wheel
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 01:04:21 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim F." <jimndi@frontiernet.net>
> My original BE wheel is in pretty sad shape.

Let us see a picture of your wheel and we'll decide if it's in bad shape.

I just restored mine following the tips on this page ->
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqstrg.htm

I had a few cracks (where the spokes meet the wheel) that I filled with JB weld
epoxy.

I diverged from the recommendations regarding paint from the above site.
I primered with the dark gray Rustoleum automotive primer and then topcoated
with Rustoleum's epoxy appliance paint (rattle cans). I did two top coats and
baked them dry @ 250F for 20-30 minutes.

I am happy with the results.  It looks like the original Bakelite and does not
have that gooey modern plastic
look that I have seen on other restored wheels.