Re: [Spridgets] Clutch rattle

To: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Clutch rattle
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 19:31:09 -0400
> SHAME ON YOU!!!

Probably not high rpm by your standards.  I never drive over 4000.  It reved
up to there (by the sound)  after the clutch disengaged, so it was probably
2-3000 rpm when it popped out.  This afternoon, I couldn't hear the same
rattle I had this morning, but I could hear the bearing rubbing when it was
lightly engaged, which I have not heard before.  The cracked carbon
diagnosis sounds about right.

So, if it is time to pull the engine, I will certainly replace the
transmission.  It can't be drained because the drain plug is closed with a
big glop of epoxy, I assume because it was punched in when the PO drove it
through the woods.  That explanation fits with the condition of the rest of
the undercarriage when I got it.

I have three candidate transmissions, all in unknown condition.  One came
with my spare engines, and is probably in good condition, as the PO intended
to use it in his Crosley before he found a proper one.  The other two came
in my BE kit, competely unknown.  How do I test these transmissions before I
put one in?

I also have two smooth-case transmissions in my BE kit if anyone one wants
them.

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Sprite kit