Re: [Spridgets] Antifreeze/coolant

To: "'spridgets Spridgets@autox.team. Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Antifreeze/coolant
From: "JLC" <breton48@live.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:14:12 -0600
Phil,

I never had a problem mixing antifreeze, provided it is the same type,
meaning either "green stuff" (Ethylene glycol) or "orange stuff" (Dex-Cool
type). If you mix the two, bad things happen.

I have five vehicles, and the only one using the "orange stuff" is my wife's
2000 Astro van. I think all GM vehicles have been using Dex-Cool since 1994
or so.

By the way, antifreeze never wears out, so using an old can should be fine.
I do change the antifreeze (green stuff) every year, but that's because I am
cautious, and the corrosion inhibitors in the antifreeze do disappear with
use. Dex-Cool is supposed to have a lifespan of 150,000 miles, but I still
change it every two years or so - If you don't, you can have problems with
corrosion and leaks.

JLC

Phil Nase wrote:
Is there any real difference in anti-freeze from one to the next.  I
have always used Prestone because its always available.  I do have
some old containers of a BMW coolant I can use.  Is there any reason
not to use the stuff on my shelf?

I've been running water this summer after a few engine pulls.  Now I'm
happy with the running cars and need to prep for the cool temps.