Re: [Spridgets] Tow vehicle - ramblings from JLC!

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tow vehicle - ramblings from JLC!
From: "JLC" <breton48@live.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:46:31 -0600
When I started towing for both my Mazda RX7 "Spec Seven" (SCCA) and my
vintage racing Bugeye (VARA), I thought I needed a SUV to keep things secure
at night, or a Truck with a lockable camper shell. In the end, I went with
the Expedition, and the 5.4 optional engine. I got the 4x4, thinking it
would help in bad weather or muddy fields, but I could have done with the 2
wheel drive. I also had the Ford full towing package, plus an aftermarket
brake controller in the cab and now air bags on the rear suspension. I had a
12' open trailer (double axle with electric brakes on one axle), which was
plenty big enough for the Bugeye, and just enough for the Mazda. When I got
the Lotus, it also easily fit on that trailer. That was a good set up, and
the Expedition was up to the task.

In 2008, when I got my Bricklin and a 35 hp Utility tractor, I felt I had to
get a bigger trailer, and a bigger vehicle to tow.
Added to the need was my move from CA to CO, and lots of stuff I wanted to
move myself! I sold the 12' trailer, and got a Carson Deluxe car hauler, all
metal (diamond pattern on the full deck), 82" wide, 18 feet deck. I bought a
used one ton Chevy Silverado (extended cab, long bed, 454 engine, 2 wheel
drive with positraction axle) to tow that.

For towing a light vehicle, say below 3000 pounds, the original set up of
the Expedition and relatively light 12 feet trailer was ideal. Easy to tow,
overall length of the rig was not that long, easy to back up, plenty of
space in the back of the Expedition (no third seat) for tools, spares and an
extra set of tires. I could fit another set of tires on a purpose built rack
in front of the trailer. By the way, I tried to tow the 18' deck trailer and
the Bricklin with the Expedition - OK on the flat, but the Expy had a real
problem over the mountains East of San Diego. I turned around and got the 1
ton truck!

I don't like my present rig that much, and it's bigger than what I need. My
mistake, I should have got a smaller trailer. The length of the truck plus
the trailer (over 40 feet overall) means parking can be problematic unless
you just park with the big rigs. The trailer is all metal and weighs around
2000 pounds on its own (including Warn winch and gel cell battery). I find
it also more difficult to back up. As for the truck engine, that 454 will
pull the trailer with either the Bricklin (3950 pounds weight) or the
tractor (about 3600 lbs with the loader but no implement on the back) OK,
but then my mileage will be between 9 and 10 miles per gallon. I was
trailering 1200 miles between CA and CO when gas was over $4 a gallon, so
you can imagine the cost of the trip just in gas!

I might sell all (Expedition, Chevy Truck, Trailer), and start again new:
this time I would go with a new 3/4 ton diesel truck, either Ford or Chevy,
and a 15 or 16 feet deck trailer, with wood deck.

By the way, the Expedition has proved reliable - I drove it 97000 miles
since new with very little trouble (a couple of electrical glitches plus a
recall for cruise control switch). After a few initial repairs (radiator,
bypass hose, front brake rotors, power steering hoses), the Chevy Silverado
has also been reliable for the 15000 miles I have driven it (the truck now
has 150000 miles on the clock).

JLC
1970 Lotus 7
1975 Bricklin SV1