Re: [Spridgets] Vintage Racing question.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, Kurt Bain <kbainrace@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Vintage Racing question.
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 20:45:25 -0800 (PST)
Attached (Kurt only) is a missive after Year One of racing that was on the
late great Thicko list. In short:

I got started when my employer extended my
interview weekend to take me to Elkhart Lake. I met Team Thicko.

I got
started in a $3800 car, including trailer and spares. Year 1 budget was $500.
I went racing. I went slow, but I went racing. Budgets on aveage seem to sort
of have a fixed $1500 per year (suit, helmet, body touch up) plus a variable
cost of $1500 per weekend, including prep/tires/gas. I had an unexpected big
bill this year, but hopefully not next. Well....there was also the trailer
year...$4500 there....there's always SOMETHING

It isn't ANYTHING without the
people. Last few years have been bittersweet with economic downturn and some
untimely passing of friends. I hope your article gets many new members.

Ron
Soave