Re: [Spridgets] bmw bugeye

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] bmw bugeye
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:53:37 -0600
Absolutely correct, Dr. Loeb.

I've used Burndy or Panduit for many years and my crimp tool only cost me
$20 in 1980.  Back in the early 60s I worked for a while at the IBM Space
Guidance Labs as a part time job while going to school and playing hockey.
Our shop made the servo-slave tape units for the IBM 360 Computers and did
the hand work on the IBM one-off computers for the space program. We built
the little computers that went into the Apollo capsules and the LEM. Those
systems had to withstand incredible punishment. Most of the wiring was
connected using *crimps* because anything other than a mechanical connection
wouldn't hold up under the punishment. Peoples lives rested on it always
working. I always figured if it was good enough for the moon program it was
good enough for my cars and motorcycles.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

>     If you want the good stuff, it's easy enough. go to electrical
>     supply wholesale houses. they sell to the public...
>
>     T&B, or Panduit, or Burndy brands specifically. Using these
>     brands one shouldn't need to get the expensive ratchet type
>     crimping tools, the simple kind that works like a pair or pliers
>     is just fine, but be sure to use the proper slot for size, and
>     differentiate between insulated and non insulated areas of the
>     tool. Remember solder joints  fail under high heat conditions, where a
>     crimp connection won't.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>  Bill L.                           mailto:pythias@pacifier.com
>
>  '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"
>
>  405

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein