Re: [Spridgets] Old Life Magazines & LBC's

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Old Life Magazines & LBC's
From: Tim Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:28:29 -0500
Lin,
I use the "advanced search" option to enter the keywords and to
select the date range (no sense searching for Spridgets in the
1930"s). Then I can narrow my search to certain magazines or books,
but I usually choose not to do that - I want to see them all. When
the results comes back most will say that the reference only provides
a "snippet" but others  like LIFE and Popular Mechanics/Science
usually give the whole article. For those that only provide a
"snippet" you may be able to get the whole article from your local
library or through Inter Library Loan services. Try a college or
university library if available if your local neighborhood library is
small. I'm not sure if Hot Rod magazines are included in the
database. You will find odd sources of info. I was surprised to find
Spridget info in "Kiplingers" You can kill alot of time looking at
the articles! I like the advertisement from LIFE, June 6, 1961, that
describes a Sprite as; "It's a frisky, audacious little rascal that
roars like a lion and pivots like a cat!" This must be where the
connection to cats on this list comes from. LOL

At 10:07 AM 1/23/2010, Linda Grunthaner wrote:
>Tim how do you search for articles in magazines? I tried to do a
>search on that site for hot rod magazine and other car magazines but
>only got books : (
>Lin

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/