Re: [Spridgets] wire wheel rear end conversion

To: <WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] wire wheel rear end conversion
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:52:52 -0500
I was thinking about this "wire wheel short axle issue" further today.

I have never seen the case where just the splines sheered off of a Spridget
axle.

By that I mean it's not the case where you pull the axle out and just the
splines have striped
off the outer perimeter.

The ones I have seen  that broke (and these were early axles only)
had the whole splined section broke off and stuck in the diff.

So, When we say that we are worried that we have 1/2" less purchase of the
spline within
the differential we are implying that striping the splines off is what may
happen.

But I don't think that's going to happen.

For the proper case, the splines appear to have about 1 and 1/2 inch purchase
within the diff.

I don't think that 1/2 inch less is going to matter when you switch over to the
wire axles.

Maybe it's not the best for some highly tuned 1275+ engine.  But if that's the
case you probably
don't want to run wires wheels anyway.

If anyone has seen the case where just the splines have sheered off I would be
interested.