[Spridgets] is it just me getting old, or.......

To: "'Spridget Chat Group'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] is it just me getting old, or.......
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:42:11 -0500
Today, I tuned in to Speed Channel's broadcast of the Daytona 24 hr race.
Within a very short time (as in a couple of minutes), I found that:
1.) Bored.
2.) Found the cars to be butt-ugly, trashy-looking (billboards on wheels).
3.) Found  the network announcers to commit the "NASCAR sin" of identifying
cars as (for example) "the nine car" or "the 94 car" rather than by naming the
car and it's team of drivers.
4.) I found the driver interviews to sound pretty much the same in that they
all seemed to describe their car as "the (insert sponsor's name & omit car
brand) car was running real good....."

The other day, I watched a bit of what used to be the European Touring Car
series (I forget what it's now called) and I found it to be equally as boring
as Daytona and with the same complaints in my mind.  The cars appeared to be
caricatures of current production MBZ, BMW & Audi models.  While I realize
that TV takes a whole lot out of automobile racing (being there is really the
ONLY way to enjoy racing), I found that I really miss the days when race cars
were also things of beauty and were actually built with mostly parts produced
by their manufacturers, including the chassis & bodies.

I realize that the "big money" corporate sponsors pouring money into the sport
have, overall, had a positive impact on professional racing as far as allowing
engineering to push the performance envelope, which ultimately produces the
technology that improves our daily drivers (of the modern variety) and brings
spectators out in sufficient numbers to not only cover the race promoter's
costs (with insurance being a huge chunk of it, I'm sure), but making it
profitable enough to support the sport.

But the flashy-trashy aspect of NASCAR & other pro series is even spilling
over into my beloved vintage racing, with cars increasingly appearing like
mini-NASCAR racers and huge, ugly NASCAR-style roll cages appearing on
Spridgets & MGBs & TRs.   "Progress" I suppose.  But just where is it that we
are progressing to?

Am I the only long-time race enthusiast (and former SCCA racer) who thinks
like this?  Somehow I doubt it.

Bud Osbourne