Re: [Spridgets] Testing a Gear Box

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Testing a Gear Box
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 13:21:33 -0600
>> When I bought my rib case the guy had it on a stand running with an
>> electric motor to demonstrate how it went through the gears.

> Someone once suggested to me rigging up a 1/2" drill.

I would suggest that there is nothing easily rigged up that will
simulate being in the car with an actual load. I would suggest that
the drill and electric motor approaches will generate enough noise
that the tranny will appear silent whether it is or not. I think you
would do as well to turn the input shaft by hand while applying drag
to the output shaft with the other hand, trying it in each of the
gears. You should be able to feel major issues this way and nothing is
going to cover everything for you.
David L