Re: [Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 33, Issue 44

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 33, Issue 44
From: "Bob Gardner" <rdgard@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:34:44 -0800
 Well, here is my two peso's worth.

I, like probably some others on the list, is not made out of money.  So, I
have picked up lots of tools at HF and most I guess are made in china.

Well, out of perhaps hundreds of items from there, I can't think of one that
has crapped out yet.  I have a DeWalt cordless drill that has gone south
twice.  And I have a cut off saw, you know the one with the 12 inch carbide
blade for cutting pipe etc.  It sounded, from the first day like the
bearings were either dead or not lubed, or not even there.  When it fires
up, there is a grinding sound and when you make your cut and take finger off
the trigger, it still makes the awful grinding sound until it slows to a
stop.  I know I probably will only get one or two more cut out of it.  But,
it has been making that sound for 8 years and still spins like gang busters
and no smoke is leaking out yet. Hmmmmm

I don't use any of them all the time but I do use my angle grinder and air
die grinder a lot and no problems yet.

And while I am on the soap box, I know the Chinese build a lot of crap, but
I am sure they are capable of building good stuff also.  I believe that some
American company says, "Can you build this drill?  They say sure, and the
American (or what ever) company great, but can you build it for 40% less,
and they say sure, and then the company says can you cut another 60% off of
that?  And the factory says yes, what do you want me to skimp on?  How long
do you want it to last, years or hours?  Etc, etc. You get the point.

I mean, my goodness, they build jet fighters and computer networks etc.
Lets face it, Harbor Freight sells for much less and still probably makes a
great profit!

I would love to support "Merica first, but they are straining my ability to
make a living so much, that when I look at a drill for $15 and a similar
one, with the same spec's for $89.95 It really stresses me out to make the
right decision, (for me)!

I also love Chinese food.  So there, they do some things really well!

Donning Flame suit.

Cheers,

Bob

Robert D. Gardner