Re: [Spridgets] Thanks For the Help CLUTCH

To: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Thanks For the Help CLUTCH
From: Peter Caldwell <peter@nosimport.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:55:30 -0500
An update..... off list I've been "talking" with Kirk.

The spring he is using is very, very light... too light to compress
the internal slave spring, and so, in my opinion, would have no
deleterious effect on the clutch mechanism... it would be akin to an
anti-rattle spring the way he described it to me.

         Peter C
====
At 09:04 AM 3/25/2010, Peter Caldwell wrote:
>At 03:43 PM 3/24/2010, Kirk Hargreaves wrote:
>>Frank,
>>Thanks for the correct measurement on the rod extending from the slave cyl.
>>Mine was too long.  . I ground it back with a chamfer and the car is running
>>perfect.  All the gears are shifting right on and it is
>>once again a blast to drive.  It looks like this solved the problem (as I
>>could check when the gear box was out through the top hole that the throwout
>>bearing is OFF the spines when not in use).  I also run a spring out board
>>of the slave cyl to ensure that the throwout bearing is pulled back off the
>>splines at all times when not in use.
>-------------------
>Kirk,
>         I'm glad the clutch is working.
>         The addition of the spring bothers me, though.
>         The engineering choice of return spring, or no return
> spring in the design of clutch systems is based on whether the
> engineer wants an adjustable slave pushrod. Most BMC cars chose to
> dispense with adjustable pushrods in the 50s.
>         If spring, then adjustment. No spring, no adjustment.
>         As Jim alluded, you may experience not enough release as
> there may not be enough volume displaced to move the slave piston fully.
>         The system is intended to be self-adjusting for wear of the
> bearing face and the disc friction. The bearing should barely touch
> the pressure plate thus requiring little movement of the slave
> piston before engagement.
>         It may be counter-intuitive, but the more the friction
> material on the disc wears, the taller the pressure plate thrust
> collar becomes, relative to the flywheel. (The thrust collar moves
> toward the transmission with wear.) (Thinner disc, taller pressure plate)
>
>         Despite your current success, I'm recommending removing the spring.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums