Re: [Spridgets] Iridium Plug Question

To: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Iridium Plug Question
From: "rrengineer @dslextreme.com" <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:18:27 -0700
Both my Honda cars are required by the factory to have iridium plugs.  That
being said, the Accord requires the more costly Laser Iridium NGK plugs and
the Civic requires only plain Iridium NGK plugs.  There are iridium plugs
and there are iridium plugs.  The ones for the Accord are 10 bucks apiece
from Pep Boys (dealer wanted 19 bucks for very same plug).  The run of the
mill iridium plugs for the Civic were 8 bucks at Pep boys.  Since iridium is
all they ever had, I can't say I saw any difference when I changed them.
The thing is, I changed them both at over 100,000 mile mark.  The Honda
factory manual states they need to be changed at 100,000 mile intervals.
They last longer is their best attribute I am told.  I have heard you get a
better spark from regular copper core NGKs.  You just have to change them
more often.  As much as we are under the bonnet on our cars, that should not
be a problem.  Regular NGKs are cheap  One more thing.  Iridium plugs are
NOT recommended for my Harley Davidson that has a carb.  They are only to be
used with fuel injection.  I don't know if that translates to cars.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite (with regular NGKs)
56 BN2

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:50 AM, David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> LAD: "What do y'all think of Iridium spark plugs? "
>
> I don't have
> any statistically significant data on the question, but can tell you what
> happened when I put a set of NGK iridium plugs into a Miata I owned a few
> years ago. Iridium plugs were brand new on the market at the time and NGK
> wanted to get some out on the street.  The result? My gas mileage instantly
> went up by about 6 mpg and the car felt more peppy.
>
> There are of course
> questions to be asked about my experience.  Would my mileage have increased
> by
> as much if I replaced the old plugs with a non-iridium plug?  Were the
> plugs I
> replaced performing under the level they should have been, which gave me an
> artificially low mileage to begin with? Was the "more peppy" feel just in
> my
> head? (with the little voices) Who knows.
>
> All I can say is that I'm one of
> those guys who calculates his mileage with every tank of gas because this
> is a
> good early indicator when something is going wrong. I was very pleased with
> the increased mileage, especially because one of my friends worked for NGK
> at
> the time and he sent me free iridium plugs for every vehicle I owned at the
> time, including the motorcycles.
>
>  - David Booker
> Long Island

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html