[Spridgets] NLBC - Joe - a cup of

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] NLBC - Joe - a cup of
From: "Alan East-Jones" <alan.east-jones@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 12:55:16 +0100
Subject: A cup of Joe

Since hearing my friend Jim refer to coffee as "a cup of Joe" (even though I
have heard it called that several times during my life). I started wondering
where the phrase came from - - - well, Thank God for the computer cause what
you see below is what I found - - - - -

In 1914, the secretary of the US Navy, Admiral Josephus 'Joe' Daniels
abolished the officers' wine mess. From that time on the strongest (and
apparently therefore the drink of choice) on board navy ships was coffee. It
was dubbed 'a cup of Joe' after the secretary.

'A cup of Joe' also refers to the GIs' favourite drink. During World War II
the US defence workers were supplied with as much coffee as they wanted.
Coffee was a source of warmth and comfort for battle-weary troops.
The slang was popular enough to be included in the Reserve Officer's Manual of
1931.
A variation on this theme has it that Joe refers to the average Joe, thus
making 'a cup of Joe' the average drink of the average man. So there you have
it.

BUT , In the British royal navy the grog ration was discontinued only in 1970,
Navy rum was 95.5 proof, or 47.75% alcohol; the usual ration was an eighth of
a pint, diluted 2:1 with water (3:1 until World War 2). Extra rum rations were
provided for special celebrations, like Trafalgar Day, and sailors might share
their ration with the cook or with a messmate celebrating a birthday. Ratings
were then given an extra can of beer each day as compensation for the loss of
their tot of rum .
Did you know that ?

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75