Re: [Spridgets] Guy at Gas Station - Deal on a 911?

To: "Kirk Hargreaves" <khargreaves2@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Guy at Gas Station - Deal on a 911?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 21:06:56 -0400
Kirk,
The cam chain tensioners were somewhat problematic on all 911s up until,
well, I forget but it was on the 911SC (I think) that they finally arrived
at a solution.  The main problem with the 2.7 was the head studs pulling out
of the crankcase, along with a few other issues related to emission control.
However, most of the 2.7s still running around have had all of the "issues"
addressed and can be very good engines.  The '74 thru '77 911 (which are the
ones using the 2.7) are the least desirable of the series, although they can
still be very good cars.  But, they are the least expensive 911 to purchase,
right now and can be had in really good shape for under $12K.  I very nearly
bought a '77 911S for $10K two years ago (wish I had gone through with
it.....the car is now in Spain).  The engine had been fully rebuilt with all
of the upgrades and the car was really a strong runner.  It would have
needed new front fenders, however, as there were some paint bubbles starting
to show through the original, black paint.  The '74 thru '77 911s did not
have the fully galvanized body panels and they can develop some rust
problems as a result.
$7K is a real good price to pay for a 911 of that vintage, provided it is in
good condition.  Sounds like the guy just found a "motivated" seller and got
himself a nice car.
Bud Osbourne