Re: [Spridgets] Welding safety - Brake Cleaner can kill you

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Welding safety - Brake Cleaner can kill you
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 13:02:42 -0400
"Phosgene is formed by decomposition of chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents by
ultraviolet radiation. It reacts with moisture in the lungs to produce
hydrogen chloride, which in turn destroys lung tissue. For this reason, any
use of chlorinated solvents should be well away from welding operations or
any operation in which ultraviolet radiation or intense heat is generated."
(http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/weldhlth.html)

Note that hydrogen chloride --> hydrochloric acid is in our stomachs in
fairly high concentrations  (0.5%  --> heart burn, acid reflux), and we
often breath it when we burp up stomach juices.  You will not fall over dead
from breathing small amounts of HCl.  It is just an irritant in small
concentrations.

Michael Rowe

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75