Re: [Spridgets] Fitting harnesses

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fitting harnesses
From: <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 18:38:08 +0000
> wonder if my wife would notice the scratched paintYou have a mind like mine.
:)
'70's Datsuns were no prize either in the heater control department.  I was a
passenger in ( I think ) a 210 when it went cross country and took on a tree.
No seatbelt as "it wasn't required by law to wear a belt when in the back
seat".  I took out the dome light with my scalp on the way past and then took
out the heater controls with my face, or perhaps better said that it took out
my face, before I bounced back into the back seat.  The guys wearing the
seatbelts up front fared much better.

Robert D

> Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 11:42:51 -0400
> From: John.Deikis@va.gov
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fitting harnesses
>
> >In a message dated 19/05/2010 21:20:23 GMT Daylight Time,
> cbking@alum.rpi.edu writes:
>
> >In my  experience, there's not a whole lot of time for ducking, diving,
> whatever,  during a rollover. BTDT, and >survived. The 3 point
> retractable belts I  installed worked fine during the rollover, and
> probably helped promote  >survival. IMO, a properly secured harness
> would only  improve this.
>
> Limited experience, but memorable...one of which led to my Thicko
> moniker "Blunt Head Trauma"...
> '65 Mercury Caliente 289 convertible and many years later my '68 Midget
> vintage racer on the track...
> I would not have survived the Mercury being held upright by a 5-point
> harness; I would probably not have survived the Midget NOT being held
> upright. The roll bar is an important deciding factor between the two.
> In the absence of any sort of restraint, I don't think I would have
> walked away from either. As for "a whole lot of time," to me, it all
> seemed in slow motion and there was time to try to put out my hands to
> stop the car from rolling, wonder if my wife would notice the scratched
> paint, and even duck for the space under the dash where the console was.
> (Boy, those 60's Detroit radio knobs are SHARP instruments!)
> --JohnD

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive