[Spridgets] Chebby truck

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Chebby truck
From: "Bob Gardner" <rdgard@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:47:14 -0700
Bud,

I bought a 79 1/2 ton Chebby van new in 79 and finally replaced the engine
at 390,000 miles.  It still was running quite good, but was blowing freeze
plugs.  Lost 6 of them, One cost me 800 and 13 hours on the LA freeway.
Still had the ones behind the flywheel had not gone out yet.  Could not
trust it so I got a GM crate motor.  Lost the tranny and sold the van at
500,000 plus miles.  They are the best!

Keep it!  I assume it is not a show truck, but a work truck, so, some sheet
metal, some bondo, some primer and you are good to go for 200,000 more
miles.

Cheers,

Bob in San Diego

Robert D. Gardner

Gardner Productions LLC
Film and Video Production since 1978
619-460-1000
www.gardnerproductions.com

-
A couple of years ago, I looked into buying a new pick-up truck to replace
my faithful '79 Chevy (1/2 ton w/8' bed & heavy springs).  I'm getting to
the point where I will need to do some major sheet metal (rust) repair and I
thought maybe it was time.  Well, the more I looked at the new stuff, the
more I realized how attached I am to my old Chevy and what a great old truck
it is.  We've the original owners (it was purchased to be our farm truck)
and it's been virtually trouble-free for the past 31 years and 91,000 miles.

The only thing I dislike about it is that it's an automatic instead of
having a "truck" four speed.  But even the automatic is nice and the 350
4bbl engine sure makes it nice for towing a car trailer.
I guess the only way I'll ever replace it is by restoring it (oh,
crap.....ANOTHER bloody project), which isn't in the cards right now.  Glad
I'm not in a position where business dictates a new truck every few years.
Frank, you could always find an older one and restore it for your next work
truck.  That's the only way you're ever going to get a "real" truck, that
will hold up well and not cost you an arm & a leg for all of the yuppie
engineering options that the manufacturers are imposing on us who use a
truck as a TRUCK.
Bud Osbourne

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75