[Spridgets] HIF4's on my Datsun 210 motor with GX head

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] HIF4's on my Datsun 210 motor with GX head
From: Rick Bastedo <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:25:01 -0700
I had this hi performance head and sual SU manifold and Mike from our local
Spridget group had a pair of HIF4's and BillM had a gasket set so....
We got together yesterday and I started pulling the old econo head off my
A15 Datsun motor.
After much cleaning, a bit of 'adjusting' ala angle grinder, 8 inch bench
grinder and other assorted tools of torment we got the new cylinder head and
manifolds and carbs mounted to the motor and torqued down.

Then came the fun part - getting it to run.

At first it was a major smoker - seriously huge clouds of billowing smoke
enveloping the neighborhood.
We fiddled with it a while then I remembered the old setup neede a fuel pump
that had 4 to 6 psi.
I mentioned this and Bill produced a couple other pumps.
We tried one, and at first it seemed to run good, then went downhill.
We swapped in another pump and got it running "good enough" to drive home
(we thought).

I made it a few hundred yards then had to pull over - no good.
Bill said to try richening the carbs, I did that and could get it to limp
along.
It was late and we had all had a long day - a good day, but long.

I made the car limp home. It started running at high rpm, running very rough
at 4k rpm.
I just tried to keep it in 4th and cruise as much as possible.

I went out this morning and turned the key - gas started coming out the
front carb overflow.

I need some HIF4 guru help here, anyone know these carbs well and want to
offer any advice?
You can see a couple pics of the setup here:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/688274/Well_my_Midget_made_it_home_Ne#Post688274

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/21857/filename/Imgp8816.jpg

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/21858/filename/Imgp8814.jpg

Rick (they do look nice though) Bastedo