Re: [Spridgets] (no subject)

To: "fastvee" <fastvee@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] (no subject)
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:01:58 -0400
John,
I painted a car two years ago (and I have to finish it one of these days) in
my workshop.  Using PPG urethane enamel, and a new respirator I got at my
local autobody supply shop.  You don't need no stinkin' paint booth.  With
an HVLP spray gun, there's shockingly little overspray.  It was the first
time I used HVLP and I was totally unprepared for how little overspray there
is.  The biggest problem I had was my goggles fogging up, which, combined
with not enough light, made for plenty of wet sanding work after the paint
dried.
After each coat of paint, I simply opened the shop windows & turned on a
large fan, which exhausted the fumes in about 30 min.  The cats were kinda
pissed at me for taking over their home and not letting them back in all
day, but they eventually got over it.
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: I sort of converted my shop into a spray booth by
hanging visqueen from ceiling to floor all around the shop.  This kept dust
and cat hair contamination away from the paint.
Bottom line is that the PPG product can be safely applied while using a
respirator without a fresh air supply, IF you are using HVLP technology.
I've always been a little bit goofy, but no more than normal after the
above-described painting episode.   Since the poor light caused me to lay
down some orange peel on a few panels (on the stuff I could see well, I got
beautiful results, with no need for anything but a final buffing), I will
have to repaint some panels, when I finally get time to resume work on that
particular project (a '73 Midget).
Bud Osbourne