Re: [Spridgets] Chinese Manufacturers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Chinese Manufacturers
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:55:12 -0500
Billy has a point here.  I have bought several banjo necks and resonators
from a Taiwanese maker and they are incredibly beautiful top quality banjo
parts. The fret board inlays are breath taking vine patterns in Indian
rosewood. The necks are single laminate curly maple and the heels are
beautifully carved. I put a 5 string neck on an old Gibson RB100 pot I had
laying around and it plays incredibly well. The neck is easier to play than
is my 1937 RB75!!

Now....    I recently built up a nice violin using a beautifully inlaid
finger board and other ebony parts also done by my guy in Taiwan. A
wonderful instrument that will knock your eyes out. The bad news is that I
got a set of 4 fine tuners from China because they were the only ones in a
gold finish to match the trim on the instrument. These are absolute crap
even though they cost more than Stewart McDonald parts!!  The metal they are
made of is crap. They bend and will not stay in place to hold tuning. I went
back to European made fine tuners.

What about Korean?  About 10 years ago, I bought a cheap Korean made F style
mandolin. It plays well and has given me good service. Plenty of tone and
volume. I'm impressed with it.

My $0.02 and probably worth as much.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com> wrote:

> > I have an old Yamaha guitar that is one of those guitars.
> Are you sure you're not confusing China with Taiwan? There's a big
> difference.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive