Re: [Spridgets] MGB engine in a midget?

To: "Kyle Werner" <kmwerner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] MGB engine in a midget?
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 14:50:48 +0100
Kyle,
Please, please, please listen to the conjoined wisdom of the forum and DO
NOT place the MGB engine in the Midget.  It is a heavy lump of cast iron.
It is not a finely tuned piece of powerful engine   It will fit in, well you
can make it fit in, yes it can be done, but is a real pain.  You will need
the clutch and g'box as well as the Midget stuff won't take the additional
torque for very long.
The car will handle like an overladen wheelbarrow.  Too heavy at the front
and you'll need to redo the front suspension just to hold the weight.
You'll never make it handle properly.  You will destroy another Midget.
Hunt round for an engine around the same weight as the 1275 this comes in
around 350 pounds with alternator, starter manifolds etc.  I understand the
B engine is around 25% heavier.  Have a look at
http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/library/txt/engfyi.htm for some info on engine
weights.  Full credit to Dave Williams for doing these listings.  b.t.w. it
will take a couple of months to do his whole site!

Guy R Day